Accreditation serves two major goals—quality assurance and continuous improvement—through a standards-based process of self-study and peer review. At its essence, accreditation is a professional conversation about quality.
AAQEP's nationally recognized model for educator preparation program accreditation incorporates both time-honored features and new ones that increase the utility and credibility of the process. These enhancements include the opportunity for programs to:
- Navigate the path to accreditation with a cohort of peers
- Submit a proposal for feedback before completing the self-study
- Have a dedicated AAQEP liaison to provide ongoing support
Providers entering the AAQEP system have a choice of two pathways based on the same standards. Most members complete a Quality Assurance Report in application for 7-year accreditation status; this same process applies for reaccreditation every 7 years. Members with new or newly revised programs, or those seeking an expedited transition from another accreditor, may opt to take the initial accreditation pathway in application for 5-year (nonrenewable) initial accreditation status before moving into the 7-year cycle.
While an official accreditation decision concludes each review cycle, the process continues to promote quality improvement with an emphasis on collaborative professional engagement. The AAQEP process aims to be formative, flexible, collegial, accurate, contextual, and supportive; these goals are supported by transparent and regular communication to build shared understanding (and minimize surprises!).
Learn more about the AAQEP process, philosophy, and available supports in this introductory webinar recording and via the links below and at left.
Accredited Programs (alphabetical listing)
Accreditation Commission Action Record (chronological listing)
Participating in accreditation enables you to:
- Strengthen your program through a structured review process
- Share successful practices in collaboration with partners
- Grow professionally and broaden your support network
- Build stronger stakeholder relationships through data sharing
- Improve program effectiveness by engaging stakeholders
- Make credible quality claims via third-party validation